Thursday, March 16, 2006

Back on Track

Well,

The weekend in NYC was great. Great food and fun; pics coming soon, and my uncle gave me his cycle trainer, which was basically unused. It came back in my suitcase; which was heavy!

I haven't posted in a while, and I'll offer up the following lame excuses. 1) my hard-drive crashed, thereby eliminating my "favorties". 2) My sons started soccer (I coach both teams), so the weekends are whizzing by in a total blur 3) Work has been, well, work, which really gets in the ways of good training opportunities.

The tri club has a sprint time trial last weekend. My results are below:

400 yd swim - 7:27
10.5 mile bike (very hilly) - 39.46
5K - 25.07

All in all, not too bad. A winter's worth of spinning hasn't produced much gains on the bike. The first official race is just over six weeks away, so I'll start preparing for that. I need to hit the bike hard if I expect to be in shape for the Duke half iron. Oh, did I leave that out? Its officially on the plan for September. Any advice and experience will be appreciated.

5 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

Great job on the time trial!!! Can't wait to get outside....:)

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Cycling Under The Influence said...

I have felt the same way lately. Spinning helps, but just does not produce the kind of results that you get on the road. I did MAP Saturday and it was a wake up call, for sure.

About Duke Half- glad to hear that's on the schedule. That is a fun race, and close to home so you can go ride and run the course. I did that last year and it was VERY helpful on race day. If you have any specific questions about that one let me know.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Battman said...

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Jamie,

I would love to pick your brain about the half. The first question is did you follow a training plan? I have the one from beginnertriathlete.com, but can't say for sure whether its a good one.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Cycling Under The Influence said...

I did follow a training plan. I have a coach I use year round because I have some pretty lofty goals, and also do a lot of races. I have some friends who have used some of the plans similar to to the one you are using, and they have had some success with them. I can find out which ones they have used and how they worked out.

From my experience, those plans seem to work great trying to get you ready for one event. They tend to not work as well when you are planning on doing several events or planning a season. Before I hired a coach I set up my season training plan based on Joe Friel's periodization schedule in The Triathlete's Training Bible. Very good info,but also very technical. It takes reading the book several times and then spending several hours setting up your plan, but once you do it you will have a plan better than one you would get from 90% of the triathlon coaches out there.

I don't know if I answered your question- let me know about any others you may have.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Battman said...

Thanks Jamie. I plan on getting the book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home