Thursday, January 19, 2006

Training Highlights

Training has been consistent lately; getting 3 of each per week. I'm amazed, since the holidays and training can compete for time. Aside from the cold in November, my health has been good, so tolerating the volume should not be a problem in the future. Quality will be the focus of the next phase.

Run: Has been one tempo/interval per week with two slower "base" runs. I expect to replace a base with a tempo/interval to build speed. I want to keep one base to help with distance.

Swim: I am in Assassin Steve's hands...typically we do 2000+ yds per session with mixed intervals. I really think I could swim in the bathtub and improve. Have I mentioned that I'm a rock?

Bike: I've been doing mainly spinning classes 2x per week with an outdoor session weather depending. As time goes on, a 2-3 hour outdoor session every week will be mandatory.

My club will do a sprint time trial next month, looking forward to that one. Last night at the Duke/NC State game I talked a buddy into a race this summer. He's done tris in the past but has slacked off, which is OK. I don't need the competition from a former NCAA div. 1 swimmer.

4 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Rock can swim. I am going to prove that theory :)

Looks like you have been getting some solid workouts.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Bolder said...

i've been debating speed work on my blog this early in the season, one of the certified USAT coaches recommends: ENDURANCE, then STRENGTH, then SPEED... don't lose your long and slow yet!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Hollyfish said...

Sounds like you're on track!! Nice job staying healthy and happy...and I've heard that life begins at 80 so you're only half way there...

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Battman said...

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

There is no chance for me to lose the long, slow. At least until my replacement bionic legs arrive from InsideOut Sports.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home