Friday, December 02, 2005

Invasion

My body has been invaded by something this week. Whatever it was stuffed 10 lbs of wet cotton up my nose and sprinkled shards of broken glass down my throat. My face would throb when lying down, and my voice sounded like Yoda. Fortunately, thats as far as it got. I reduced training, but not entirely. A slow run and a light spin on a trainer temporarily cleared the sinuses. Its on the decline, and with any luck it will steer clear of the lungs. I'm interested in hearing what other approaches to training with bugs may be out there.

On a different note, while at the library the other evening, I saw a book about ancient Roman gladiators near the triathlon/marathon section. Gotta love Dewey Decimal. I thought there would be come common spiritual or psychological elements between the ancient bloodsport and our own. How wrong I was! It seems that Hollywood has provided an incorrect version (what? you're kidding), and the main theme was death. Most paticipants were forced to fight and they lived incredubly short, violent lives. Nothing at all similar to the deliberate, disciplined glory-achieving triathletes of today. I did uncover a few interesting facts though. Women were gladiators, and actually quite popular. ( You go girls) However, sometimes they fought dwarves. Being devoured by an animal was considered the lowest form of "combat"... Thats a double whammy, not only are you being eaten alive, but hey, nobody cares too. In the end, it was an interesting read, but nothing that lends itself to multi-sport. Any recommendations for my next book?

2 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Recovering Alumni said...

Geez, thats depressing! Glad I'm a triathlete and not a gladiator.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

But if u fight the animal and win, do u bring the carcass home for food??

If u like to read and interested on doing long distance race, I picked the book called Going Long by Joe Friel. Easy to read and very information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home