Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Moons Over My Hammies!!

They're sore...very sore. The first week of training with the tri-club at the Y has been great, but did I mention that my hamstrings are sore? Through a combination of core weight training with Ronnie, a cycle time trial with Kurt and running on my own, I can't tie my shoes without an audible grunt.

Our tri-specific swim was cancelled last week due to a short thunderstorm. The storm didn't do a thing to help the water situation, but the lightening cut practice short by all of about 15 minutes. I did meet the Masters coach, Steve, and will swim with him soon.

The cycle time trial with Kurt was an eye-opener. The route was a ten mile, out-and-back with small rollers. Going out was great; a lot of downhill, and the speed was fast. Coming back, however, was less of a party. Only one section was steep enough to climb out of the saddle, so the rest was just thigh-burning, lung-aching pedaling. I finished in 35:08 or 17.1 mph with a an average HR of 142. Kurt promised our group more improvement, and I'll need it.

Ronnie the trainer wrote a core weight program for the triathletes that is killer. It will ultimately consist of four phases with the first designed to strengthen core muscles and tendons and improve flexibility. Did I mention my hamstrings are sore? Hack squats, Rumanian deadlifts and medicine ball torso raises are just a few that have kept me in pain from my neck down to the back of my knees.

We're off to western NC for our annual Thanksgiving excursion. The boys have gotten older, so we'll hike more this year. The Blue Ridge Mountains are gorgeous and where Lance decided to comeback after cancer. Asheville expects light snow and cold temps, which is perfect for cutting the Christmas tree. I can't wait.

1 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

Sounds like u will have a good time...hope you are not sore by then..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home