Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Assassins and Power Bars

When the mountain stages were added to the Tour de France in the early 1900's, the racers were overheard cursing the organizers and calling them "assassins!". That's the way I feel about Steve the swim coach. He's pushing this newbie swimmer. Hopefully I'll respond. Tuesday's workout was the following:

W/U 6 x 50 stroke, 25 drill, 25 kick
400 pull
6 x 50 interval in 1:15
400 pull
6 x 50 interval in 1:05
4 x 150 50 stroke, 50 back, 50 stroke

2600 yds if I counted correctly. I expect no quarter from Steve tomorrow. Who knows, my swimming confidence might grow after a winter in the pool.

On a different note, the tri club had a seminar from a dietitian last night; very good info. A question came up about energy bars. There are too many to choose from and one for every person's taste. Some are packed with vitamins, carbs, or fiber. I'm interested in what everyone out there is using. I have my own favorites, but I'll hold off for now. Let me know your preferred bar and I'll do a highly un-scientific nutritional comparison. Price will definitely be in the equation!

4 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

Hmm...power bars..yeah therea er so many of them.

The one I chose is Clif bar...(this has nothing to do with my name..well maybe it has).

Overall, all the bars do the same thing. Replenish your glycogen. I use Clif bar after a hard work for recovery purposes.

I use them b/c compare to power bar base purely on nutrition value, Clif bar has less sat fat. It also has more organic products (i think about 70%). These two factors made for a huge decision in me choosing Clif Bar.

It also has less other stuff (vitamin etc.). I am with the thinking that you shouldn't make your recovery drink/bar complicated. Keep it nice and simple. Carbs and protien (i make my own protien shake). Vitamins do have their purpose but there is no scientific evidence to support that they help recovery (especially taken right after a workout).

Lastly, my body seemed to handle Clif bar nicely. My body handle other bar just as well so that doesn't a big consideration in my part.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

Old-fashioned PowerBar. Vanilla Crisp. I like it because I can cut it up in smaller pieces while still in the wrapper and eat as necessary during the race or training. I only use energy bars if I ride more than 30 miles, run more than 10, and never for swimming.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Hmm, I actually like the Harvest bars by powerbar -they're kind of like rice crispie treats.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Oops, I guess they're made by Balance, not Powerbar ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home