Monday, January 16, 2006

What Now?!?

I received my USAT card a couple of weeks ago, and for a few days it didn't sink in. I noticed something was up with my latest Itunes downloads; I usually download tunes that my monkeys and I can listen to on the way to school and avoid the morning radio show stuff. Before I knew it, I had a CD filled with Cheap Trick, Thompson Twins (I know) even Kung Fu Fighting. They loved them, but where did the urge to listen to that come from? Then it dawned on me, actually it hit me like a cold head wind on a steep descent. I pulled out the USAT card again, and there, under the age group were the two digits I never thought I'd see..."40".

"Its too early", I thought, "They've made some mistake. My birthday isn't for another 10 months."

Nope, no mistake. This is the year I reach the milestone. When I was a kid, all the 40 year olds, were so much, well, older, and this caught me completely off guard. The initial shock has worn away, and I'm ready now. I will attack this like bike/run transition. A few years ago, I decided that skydiving will be the activity on my 40th, so that's on the plan. I've got my semi-solid race plan with 4 sprints and 2 olys as another. Then, walking back to my desk one day at work, an idea floated in as if a stranger had whispered something in my ear, "You can do a half-iron."

"Where did that come from?", I thought, I hadn't planned on doing the next distance until I conquered the international distance this year. Was it born from the same depths of my ego that produced the Thompson Twins CD? Hell, I hope not, but its there regardless. It won't go away either. Oh, it quiets down for a while, but in those moments where I think about where my multisport lifestyle is headed, it jumps out from behind a nice, soft couch and says, "Here I am, come and get me..."

3 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger :) said...

Awesome post...we're not old, just vintage???

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

I think 4 sprints and 2 oly's is a very solid plan, something that you'll be proud of. But then again, our Egos must be satisfied! I'm sure you'll have a great season either way.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Bolder said...

40 is the new 30.

repeat that three times...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home