Thursday, April 06, 2006

Structure

I've gotten farther into the Joe Friel Bible, and have more exercises and questionnaires to complete. This thing is like a Cosmo for triathletes... All kidding aside, I really like the structure it will give to training over the entire season. Once everything is complete, the plan will show the entire picture and the component parts; I like that. One problem, however, is sticking to such a regimented approach. I've always leaned toward the "train according to how I feel" method, so this will be a good experiment.

On a different note, my insanity has definitely rubbed off on the household. We've entered as a family in the North Raleigh Rat Race 5K and 2K run. We're all doing the 2K. The boys, 6 & 10, jumped at the chance. I like their spirit.

4 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

I have the opposite prob with following Joe Friel Bible.

I am now ending my base phase and has such a routine that it is extremely hard for me to change it.

I might do another cycle of my base period. I still don't feel I have reach the volume I want to reach for Ironman 2007.

For the build phase though, I need to start changing my schedule. Right now I don't take a day break...With the high intensity training in build phase, I probably need to get a day off.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Cycling Under The Influence said...

I love Joe Friel. That, and a few other books I consider to be key pieces of reference, will give you a really good understanding of a ton of physiological things that happen during training.

My first year (2004) with a true schedule that I planned and stuck to, brought me lots of information about the theories and about myself. Sometimes it felt like too little, and sometimes it felt like to much. I really didn't like a lot of those feelings and wanted to stop following the plan. The one thing that happened, however, is that ALL of my race results got a lot better. I was easily faster and had more endurance. That made it any easy sell, the results spoke for themselves.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Steven said...

I'll be followning along as you follow Joe's method. Like you, I'm more of a "go with how I feel" training type.

But I have Freil's newest Bible so I'll see how it goes for you.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger JF said...

Good luck with the the 2K with your family! It sounds like fun and I believe too that one should train how they feel! At one point a couple weeks ago I decided to take 3 days off in a row! Why? B/c I could and needed the time off! I will have to look into the Joe Friel Bible and see if it gives me any insight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home