Monday, August 14, 2006

Dad's World

I have two great boys. They act crazy most of the time at home (they're fine at school), but we usually have fun doing just about anything. I've mentioned before that my insanity is rubbing off on my family. My wife ran her first 5K in June, and seeing her compete and finish strong was so exciting. Recently, she heard about a group that does kids triathlons and other events in order to promote fitness for children. I was excited when I heard about it, and the boys just about jumped out of their skins when asked if they wanted to race a triathlon!

My 6 year old would swim 50 yds, bike 1.5 miles and run .5 miles, and the 10 year old would swim 100 yds, bike 3 and run 1. They were stoked!

I had one problem. The Mission Man sprint was scheduled the same day. There was no way to do both, and my wife even said, "You go ahead and run it." Well, the thought of my two boys whom I love more than anything competing in a sport that I love was too hard to pass up. After some schedule switching, Mission Man was dropped, and the Kids In Training Triathlon at Meadowmont was added to the schedule.

We had a blast swimming laps at the Y, I found it worked best if we all jumped in the same lane and did pull bouy, kick board or whatever in no particular order. At their ages, its all about attantion span. We biked and ran a mile course in the neighborhood. They always asked me to take them out; it was great! When the day came they were ready to race and I was ready to watch, and take pictures of course. It was awesome watching them go. The pictures are below and just about speak for themselves.


My youngest waiting for his turn.

He laid a huge black skid mark right after I snapped this image and almost ran over a course volunteer.


I wish I smiled when I ran...

I can't get any others to upload, so I'll post the older son's pics soon.

4 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

That is soooo cute! And exciting, too. How fun that your whole family is involved! :)

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

Great pic!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Steven said...

Congrats on having a great influence on your boys to lead a healthy lifestyle.

You should be proud of them and yourself!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

kids, best training partner ever :)..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home