Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Duke Liver Center Half IM Race Report

I've waited a few days to post in order to think about the day, and my conclusions are that it was awesome. Being my first half, the course was challenging, but the weather was great and I stayed within my plan for the most part. Here are the results:

Swim 57:36 Really bad, but I am certain of what needs work on this off season. I laughed out loud under water counting the different colors of caps that passed me.

Bike 3:10:53 I'll take this for a hilly ride. After the bonk session two weeks ago, I enjoyed sailing passed familiar sights and erasing those not so good scenes from my mind.

Run 2:15:06 (not so bad) The run course was very hilly, but I never walked, except through aid stations. It was a very powerful experience to have thoughts of my family and training creep into my mind toward the end. I wanted to finish strong for them. I spotted TriDaddy on the course and gave a shout out. He was finishing strong on a difficult course despite a heel issue; he'll rock IMFL for sure.

A weird note: I was 1/3 of the way through the swim, and this black thing kept hitting my left arm as I reached. After a few hits, I realized it was a huge bumble bee! WTF! In the middle of a lake!?!

A nutrition note, I took a total of 5 Lava salts during the race. It was a risk because I had never trained with them, but it was well worth it. No signs of cramping.

Total time with transitions and a 2 minute penalty for not having my race number when crossing the finish line: 6:28:17 Bottom line, I can't wait to do another one. This sport is a drug and I'm addicted!

3 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

Great job, and a solid effort! :) Enjoy the high! And thanks for stopping by my blog, too!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Steven said...

Excellent job, Batman!
Congrats on getting the first 1/2 Iron done and done in fine fashion.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

Hey definitely good seeing you out there! Anything left for 2006 or was that the grand finale? You probably dont have to do a heck of a lot to be ready for Pinehurst you know!!! Similar course to Duke, but shorter... and smooth clean pavement, but still lots of golf course like hills.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home