Friday, September 08, 2006

I Love Motrin

But it makes me sleepy. I've been taking it the last day and a half because I think I irritated my ITB. The outside of the left hip can get sore after a bike or run. I've been experimenting with bike saddle height lately, and it started to hurt. Luckily it has really quieted down with the reduced activity of the HIM taper. I'll be fine for the race, but I'm anticipating some pain afterwards.

Speaking of HIM, Sunday morning will be my first, which is awesome. The water temp will be borderline, but it has been cloudy the last couple of days, so who knows. My goal is to finish strong, but finish nonetheless, so time goals are secondary. I say that but I don't think I really mean it. Seriously, if I limp in in 7-8 hours, I will be mad. 6:15 - 6:30 will make me happy, and faster will be even better.

One thing I've noticed about this race is the higher amount of non-SBR preparation required. The culmination of a well executed race plan will be very cool considering the time invested. Only the race will tell if I thought of the most important ones. I do good research though; when I'm interested in something, it totally consumes me. So, there is more than just athletic satisfaction at stake. A lot has been invested (by me and my family), and we've reaped some benefits already, but race day will be the biggest so far. What a great sport...

2 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

Don't get swept up in adrenaline and ride faster than you know you should. Stick to your paces and wait till the last few miles of the run to go faster if you feel it. I made my first HIM an event rather than a race and truly enjoyed the day. I can't wait... it's going to be a blast!

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Batman,

You will do great. Just take it nice and easy and enjoy the race.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home